- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Goethehaus und Goethemuseum (Goethe's Residence and Museum)
Goethehaus und Goethemuseum (Goethe's Residence and Museum) Review
The house where Germany's most famous poet was born in 1749 is furnished with many original pieces that belonged to his family, including manuscripts in his own hand. The original house was destroyed by Allied bombing and has been carefully rebuilt and restored in every detail.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe studied law and became a member of the bar in Frankfurt. He was quickly drawn to writing, however, and in this house he eventually wrote the first version of his masterpiece, Faust. The adjoining museum contains works of art that inspired Goethe (he was an amateur painter) and works associated with his literary contemporaries.
- Address: Grosser Hirschgraben 23-25, Altstadt, Frankfurt, 60311 | Map It
- Phone: 069/138-800
- Cost: €5
- Hours: Mon.--Sat. 10--6, Sun. and holidays 10--5:30
- Website: www.goethehaus-frankfurt.de
- Metro Hauptwache and Willy-Brandt-Platz (U-bahn and S-bahn).
- Location: City Center and Westend
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
My wife and I took our once in a lifetime trip to Europe and just got back. Read more
Well, eastern Deutschland anyway. Read more
Next month I'm going to Europe for the very first time. Read more
· News & Features
Niagara Falls is a bucket-list-worthy sight to behold, whether you're ogling it from the Canada side,... Read more
A sculpture of a Greek goddess welcomes you in from the streets of London's Soho neighborhood.... Read more
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more