- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Franconia's northern border is marked by the Main River, which is seen as the dividing line between northern and southern Germany. Its southern border is the Danube, where Lower Bavaria (Niederbayern) begins. Despite its size, Franconia is a homogeneous region of rolling agricultural landscapes and thick forests climbing the mountains of the Fichtelgebirge. Nürnberg is a major destination in the area, and the towns of Bayreuth, Coburg, and Bamberg are an easy day trip from one another.
The Danube River defines the region as it passes through the Bavarian Forest on its way from Germany to Austria. West of Regensburg, river cruises and cyclists follow its path.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Super Low Nuremberg Rate: Book Fr $106+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $18/night less
- Book 4-Star Woehrdersee Mercure Nuernberg City Fr $239+/Nt Expedia
- Sail to Nuremberg with Uniworld Boutique Cruises, 7 Nts Fr $2,489 Expedia
- 4.5-Star Ramada Nurnberg Park Fr $168+/Nt — $168 Hotels.com
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! Viking River Cruises Fr $1,856 — $1,856 Expedia