Franconia and the German Danube Sights

Advertisement

Frauenkirche (Church of Our Lady)

Frauenkirche (Church of Our Lady) Review

The fine late-Gothic Frauenkirche was built in 1350, with the approval of Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV, on the site of a synagogue that was burned down during the1349 pogrom. The modern tabernacle beneath the main altar was designed to look like a Torah scroll as a memorial to that despicable act. The church's main attraction is the Männleinlaufen, a clock dating from 1509, which is set in its facade. It's one of those colorful mechanical marvels at which Germans have long excelled. Every day at noon the seven electors of the Holy Roman Empire glide out of the clock to bow to Emperor Charles IV before sliding back under cover. It's worth scheduling your morning to catch the display.

    Contact Information

  • Address: Hauptmarkt, Nürnberg, 90403 | Map It
  • Hours: Mon.–Sat. 9–6, Sun. 12:30–6
  • Location: Nürnberg (Nuremberg)
Updated: 11-13-2013

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property

Advertisement

· Map of Frauenkirche

Map of



Travel Deals
Forums