Franconia and the German Danube Sights

Advertisement

Guidebooks

Vierzehnheiligen

Vierzehnheiligen Review

In Bad Staffelstein, on the east side of the Main north of Bamberg, is a tall, elegant yellow-sandstone edifice whose interior represents one of the great examples of rococo decoration. The church was built by Balthasar Neumann (architect of the Residenz at Würzburg) between 1743 and 1772 to commemorate a vision of Christ and 14 saints—vierzehn Heiligen—that appeared to a shepherd in 1445. The interior, known as "God's Ballroom," is supported by 14 columns. In the middle of the church is the Gnadenaltar (Mercy Altar) featuring the 14 saints. Thanks to clever play with light, light colors, and fanciful gold-and-blue trimmings, the interior seems to be in perpetual motion. Guided tours of the church are given on request; a donation is expected. On Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday the road leading to the church is closed and you have to walk the last half mile.

    Contact Information

  • Address: 36 km (22 mi) north of Bamberg via Hwy. 173, Vierzehnheiligen 2, Bad Staffelstein, 96231
  • Phone: 09571/95080
  • Hours: Mar.–Oct., daily 7–6; Nov.–Feb., daily 8–5
  • Website:
  • Location: Bamberg
Updated: 11-13-2013

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property

Advertisement

View more trip reports

View more travel discussions

· News & Features

View more blog stories