- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Gedenkstätte und Museum Sachsenhausen (Sachsenhausen Memorial and Museum)
Gedenkstätte und Museum Sachsenhausen (Sachsenhausen Memorial and Museum) Review
This concentration camp was established in 1936 and held 200,000 prisoners from every nation in Europe, including British officers and Joseph Stalin's son. It is estimated that tens of thousands died here, among them more than 12,000 Soviet prisoners of war.
Between 1945 and 1950 the Soviets used the site as a prison, and malnutrition and disease claimed the lives of 20% of the inmates. The East German government made the site a concentration camp memorial in April 1961. Many original facilities remain; the barracks and other buildings now hold exhibits.
To reach Sachsenhausen, take the S-bahn 1 to Oranienburg, the last stop. The ride from the Friedrichstrasse Station will take 50 minutes. Alternatively, take the Regional 5 train, direction north, from one of Berlin's main stations. From the Oranienburg Station it's a 25-minute walk (follow signs), or you can take a taxi or Bus 804 (a 7-minute ride, but with infrequent service) in the direction of Malz. An ABC zone ticket will suffice for any type of train travel and bus transfer. Allow three hours at the memorial, whose exhibits and sites are spread apart. Oranienburg is 35 km (22 mi) north of Berlin's center.
- Address: Str. der Nationen 22, Oranienburg, 16515 | Map It
- Phone: 03301/200–200
- Cost: Free, audio guide €3
- Hours: Visitor's center and grounds: Mid-Mar.–mid-Oct., daily 8:30–6; mid-Oct.–mid-Mar., daily 8:30–4:30; last admission ½ hr before closing. Museum closed Mon., all other days open according to above .
- Website: www.stiftung-bg.de
- Metro Oranienburg (S-bahn).
- Location: Berlin
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Two farm kid high school sweethearts celebrate 35 years of marriage in Europe. Read more
I attended the opening of the Nuremberg Christkindlsmarkt yesterday evening. Read more
·Austria Forum, Belgium Forum, Czech Republic Forum, France Forum, Germany Forum, Italy Forum, Luxembourg Forum, Netherlands Forum, Switzerland Forum
Hi everyone! Read more
· News & Features
Berlin's ubercool aesthetic extends from its art scene, culture, architecture, and nightlife into its... Read more
Berlin's new Brandenburg Airport has become an embarrassment for the city, and for Germany as a whole,... Read more
Every year in cities and towns across Europe, you'll find spectacular Christmas markets offering up unique... Read more