- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Gedenkstätte und Museum Sachsenhausen (Sachsenhausen Memorial and Museum)
Gedenkstätte und Museum Sachsenhausen (Sachsenhausen Memorial and Museum) Review
This concentration camp near the Third Reich capital was established in 1936, where 200,000 prisoners from every nation in Europe, including British officers, Joseph Stalin's son, and 12,000 Soviet prisoners of war were held, and it's estimated that 50,000 died here.
Between 1945 and 1950 the Soviets used the site as a prison, and malnutrition and disease claimed the lives of 20% of the inmates. The East German government made the site a concentration camp memorial in April 1961. A few original facilities remain; the barracks, which has exhibits, are reconstructions.
To reach Sachsenhausen, take the S-bahn 1 to Oranienburg, the last stop. The ride from the Friedrichstrasse Station will take 50 minutes. Alternatively, take the Regional 5 train, direction north, from one of Berlin's main stations. From the Oranienburg Station it's a 25-minute walk (follow signs), or you can take a taxi or Bus 804 (a 7-minute ride, but with infrequent service) in the direction of Malz. An ABC zone ticket will suffice for any type of train travel and bus transfer. Allow three hours at the memorial, whose exhibits and sites are spread apart. Oranienburg is 35 km (22 mi) north of Berlin.
- Address: Str. der Nationen 22, Oranienburg, 16515 | Map It
- Phone: 03301/200-200
- Cost: Free, audio guide €3
- Hours: Mid-Mar.--mid-Oct., Tues.--Sun. 8:30--6; mid-Oct.--mid-Mar., Tues.--Sun. 8:30--4:30; last admission ½ hr before closing
- Website: www.stiftung-bg.de
- Metro Oranienburg (S-bahn).
- Location: Outer Berlin
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Germany for Less! Flights to Berlin From 545 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Special deal: 4-Star Axel Berlin Fr $262+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Berlin for Less: Hotels Fr $197+/Nt Travelocity
- Dream Deal: Berliner Hof 4 Nts + Air Fr $914 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 9 Nt Cruise! Viking River Cruises Fr $2,706 Expedia
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
What are some good daytrips (within 1.5-2 hours, preferably by public transit, but renting a car for a day would also be an option) from Munich that get you to an area with beautiful mountain scenery (with Read more
· News & Features
Berlin's new Brandenburg Airport has become an embarrassment for the city, and for Germany as a whole,... Read more
Every year in cities and towns across Europe, you'll find spectacular Christmas markets offering up unique... Read more
Once you've decided to visit Berlin, next you've got to work out which neighborhood to use as home base,... Read more