- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
A trip to Berlin wouldn't be complete without paying a visit to Potsdam and its park, which surrounds the important Prussian palaces Neues Palais and Sanssouci. This separate city, the state capital of Brandenburg (the state surrounding Berlin), can be reached within a half hour from Berlin's Zoo Station and most major Berlin S-bahn stations.
Potsdam still retains the imperial character it earned during the many years it served as a royal residence and garrison quarters. The Alter Markt and Neuer Markt show off stately Prussian architecture, and both are easily reached from the main train station by any tram heading into the town center.
Potsdam at a Glance
- Alter Markt
- Altes Rathaus
- Belvedere auf dem Pfingstberg
- Haus der Brandenburg-Preußischen Geschichte (House of Brandenburg-Prussian History)
- Holländisches Viertel
Elsewhere in Berlin
- Kurfürstendamm and Western Downtown Berlin
- Mitte: Unter den Linden to Alexanderplatz
- Mitte's Scheunenviertel and Prenzlauer Berg
- Potsdamer Platz and Kreuzberg
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's