- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Mitte's Scheunenviertel and Prenzlauer Berg
The hip scene of Mitte, the historic core of Berlin, is best experienced in the narrow streets and courtyard mazes of the Scheunenviertel (Barn Quarter), which also encompasses the former Spandauer Vorstadt (Jewish Quarter), the streets around Oranienburger Strasse. Some streets are lined with edgy shops, bars, and eateries, while others look empty and forlorn. During the second half of the 17th century, artisans, small-business men, and Jews moved into this area at the encouragement of the Great Elector, who sought to improve his financial situation through their skills. As industrialization intensified, the quarter became poorer, and in the 1880s many East European Jews escaping pogroms settled here.
Northeast of Mitte, the old working-class district of Prenzlauer Berg used to be one of the poorest sections of Berlin. In socialist East Germany, the old and mostly run-down tenement houses attracted the artistic avant-garde, who transformed the area into a refuge for alternative lifestyles (think punk singer Nina Hagen, stepdaughter of a folk singer expelled by the East German government). The renovated 19th-century buildings with balconies and stuccowork tend to feature unwanted graffiti, but Prenzlauer Berg is now a trendy area full of young couples with babies in tow.
Though not full of sightseeing attractions, the two areas are great for wandering, shopping, and eating and drinking. Mitte's Scheunenviertel is popular with tourists, and you'll find a denser concentration of locals and settled-in expats in Prenzlauer Berg.
Mitte's Scheunenviertel and Prenzlauer Berg at a Glance
Elsewhere in Berlin
- Kurfürstendamm and Western Downtown Berlin
- Mitte: Unter den Linden to Alexanderplatz
- Potsdamer Platz and Kreuzberg
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe