- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Flea Market Finds
Along with brunch, flea markets are another perennial Sunday staple in Berlin, and this town has one of them to suit every disposition.
While the antique market on Strasse des 17. Juni holds down the high end of the spectrum, markets in former East Berlin districts are, unsurprisingly, perfect for unearthing both trash and treasures.
The flea market at Mauer Park, a favorite among hipsters and tourists, is absolutely packed on Sunday in nice weather, turning the intersection of Bernauer Strasse and Oderberger Strasse (where the unofficial market outside the market begins) into a veritable Times Square of fun- and sun-loving young people.
The flea market at Treptower Park (just in front of Arena and the Badeschiff on the Spree River) takes up several large halls of an old warehouse, but it's much more of a rummage sale and junkyard than a real flea market. Tables of kitchen ware and rows of old bikes and mechanical parts do obscure some real treasures here, so come prepared to spend some time digging.
Closest in purpose to Strasse des 17. Juni, the Grosser Antikmarkt am Ostbahnhof is made up almost entirely of treasures, with little effort but a bit more money required to find something truly special to take home. Pre-edited selections of antiquarian books, gramophones, jewelry, and kitschy East German items can be found here.
The market at Boxhagner Platz in Friedrichshain is another popular weekend meeting spot, surrounded by cafés that have capitalized on the Sunday crowds. It's a good place to find that one item of furniture your apartment is missing, or to get a souvenir from the many local artists who sell their works here.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $78-$86 -- Berlin: Central Suite Hotel thru Summer, 40% Off Suite Novotel Berlin City Potsdamer Platz
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line