A number of ferry and hovercraft routes link the United Kingdom and France. Prices depend on the length of the journey and the number of people traveling. Driving distances from the French ports to Paris are as follows: from Calais, 290 km (180 miles); from Cherbourg, 358 km (222 miles); from Caen, 233 km (145 miles); from St-Malo, 404 km (250 miles). Trains also connect these ports with Paris; the journey times to and from Caen and Calais, the closest, are about four hours.
DFDS Seaways. Ferry service between Dover and Dunkirk or Calais operates at least a dozen times each day. 0871/574-7235 in U.K. www.dfdsseaways.co.uk.
P&O European Ferries. P&O European Ferries has up to 25 sailings a day; the crossing takes 90 minutes. 08–25–12–01–56 in France, [€.15 per min]. www.poferries.com.
DFDS Seaways. DFDS Seaways operates four routes linking France and the United Kingdom. Ferries run between Dover and Dunkirk or Calais at least a dozen times each day. 0871–574–7235 in the U.K. www.dfdsseaways.co.uk.
Portsmouth and Poole–Cherbourg, Caen and St-Malo
Brittany Ferries. Brittany Ferries has three sailings per day between Caen and Portsmouth, two crossings daily between Portsmouth and Cherbourg, two crossings daily between St-Malo and Portsmouth, and one crossing daily between Poole and Cherbourg. 0871–244–0744 in U.K. www.brittany-ferries.co.uk.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's