- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
You'll find putting up with the famous snobisme of the Saumurois well worth it once you get a gander at Saumur's magnificent historic center. Studded with elegant 19th-century town houses and the charming Place St-Pierre, lorded over by the vast 12th-century church of St-Pierre and centerpiece of a warren of streets, cafés, and ice-cream parlors, this centre historique is sheer delight. Looming over it all—icon of the town and a vision right out of a fairy tale—is Saumur's mighty turreted castle high above the river. You'll be using up many of your camera's flash cards here in a jiffy.
Saumur at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Loire Valley
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's