The Loire Valley Sights

Advertisement

Guidebooks

Cathédrale Ste-Croix

Cathédrale Ste-Croix Review

The Cathédrale Ste-Croix is a riot of pinnacles and gargoyles, both Gothic and pseudo-Gothic, embellished with 18th-century wedding-cake towers. After most of the cathedral was destroyed in the 16th century during the Wars of Religion, Henry IV and his successors rebuilt it. Novelist Marcel Proust (1871–1922) called it France's ugliest church, but most find it impressive. Inside are dramatic stained glass and 18th-century wood carvings, plus the modern Chapelle de Jeanne d'Arc (Joan of Arc Chapel), with plaques in memory of British and American war dead.

    Contact Information

  • Address: Pl. Ste-Croix, Orléans, 45000 | Map It
  • Hours: May–Sept, daily 9:15–6; Oct.–Apr. 9:15–noon and 2–6
  • Location: Orléans
Updated: 03-24-2013

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property

Advertisement

View more trip reports

· News & Features

View more blog stories