The Loire Valley Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to the Loire Valley
Step into a fairy tale at Sleeping Beauty's castle: Play once-upon-a-time at Ussé—gleaming white against an emerald forest backcloth, it's so beautiful it inspired Perrault's immortal tale.
Witness the might of kingly Chambord: The world's wackiest rooftop, with a forest of chimneys to match the game-rich woodlands extending in all directions, marks the Loire's grandest château.
Find splendor in the grass at Villandry: The Renaissance reblooms in these geometric gardens that have been lovingly restored to floricultural magnificence.
Indulge in a bit of romance at Chenonceau: Half bridge, half pleasure palace, this epitome of picturesque France extends across the Cher River, so why not row a boat under its arches?
Revel in medieval magic at Fontevraud: The majestic abbey is the resting place of English kings... and a queen.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe