- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Amboise is a major hub of the Loire and one of the most popular towns along the river, site of Leonardo da Vinci's final home, crowned with a royal château, and jammed with bustling markets and plenty of hotels and restaurants. On hot summer days, however, the plethora of tour buses turns the Renaissance town into a carbon monoxide nightmare. So why come? The main château is soaked in history (and blood), while Leonardo's very pretty Clos-Lucé mansion is a must-do on any Val de Loire itinerary.
Amboise at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Loire Valley
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's