- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Sarlat defines enchantment. If you're planning a trip to the many prehistoric caves and the amazing perched villages near this gorgeous town, then this capital of the Périgord Noir is the place to stay. Sarlat (as it's usually called) is ideally located, with Les Eyzies-de-Tayac, Montignac, and Lascaux to its north and Beynac-et-Cazenac, Domme, and La Roque-Gageac just to its south. Even Rocamadour, to the southeast on the D704, which connects with the D673, isn't all that far from here and Cahors is a straight shot south on the A20 péage (toll road) or the more scenic (and longer) N20.
Sarlat-la-Canéda at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Dordogne
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe