The Dordogne Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to the Dordogne
Fantastic food: Périgord truffles, foie gras, walnuts, plums, and myriad species of mushrooms jostle for attention on restaurant menus here—and the goose-liver pâté is as good as it gets.
Rock stars: Lascaux is the "Louvre" of Paleolithic man and millions have witnessed prehistory writ large on its spectacularly painted cave walls.
Religious Rocamadour: Climb toward heaven up the towering cliff to Place St-Amadour's seven chapels and you might be transported to a better place.
Sarlat's Cité Médiévale: Feast your eyes on Sarlat's honey-color houses and 16th-century streets and then just feast at the hundred or so wine and foie-gras shops.
Versailles in the sky: A dizzying 400 feet above the Dordogne River, the ancestral garden of the Marquises de Marqueyssac is a 3-km (2-mile) maze of topiaries, parterres, and hedges.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $102 & up -- Paris: 4-Star Family Friendly Hotel thru Summer Novotel Paris Charenton
- $1699 & up -- London, Paris & Rome 9 Nts. w/Air & Train Europe Express
- $629 -- 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise on Norwegian Epic CruisesOnly
- France's Loire Valley and Bordeaux Independent Journey IExplore
- $2060 & up -- France: Nice & Marseille 7-Nt. Escape w/Air — $2,060 Great Value Vacations