The Basque Country, Gascony, and Hautes-Pyrénées Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
The area around Biarritz has become Europe's hot-cool surfing center. The season kicks off big-time every summer with the Roxy Jam longboard world women's championship (usually held July 1-8 www.roxy.com). For more real action head to the coast north of Biarritz and the towns of Anglet and Hossegor. La Barre beach in the north doubles as the hangout for dedicated surfers who live out of their vans. On the southern end (by the Anglet-Biarritz border) are surf shops, snack bars, and one boulangerie. These give the main beach drag, Chambre d'Amour, a decidedly California flair. If you're coming by train, get off in Bayonne or Biarritz and transfer to a STAB bus to Anglet. The main tourist office (1 av. de la Chambre d'Amour 05-59-03-77-01 www.ville-anglet.fr) is closed off-season. Hossegor, 20 km (12 miles) north of Bayonne, hosts the Rip Curl Pro and the ASO Junior Surf Tour Championships every August as well as the ASP World Tour competition in September.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's