The Basque Country, Gascony, and Hautes-Pyrénées Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to the Basque Country, Gascony, and Hautes-Pyrénées
Catch a wave in Biarritz: Today Biarritz is Europe's surf capital, a far cry from its start as the favorite watering place of Empress Eugénie, but, face it, this is one party everyone is invited to.
Be charmed by Basque chic: Ainhoa, Sare, and St-Jean-de-Luz show off quirky and colorful, irregular, and asymmetric Basque rural village architecture.
Indulge yourself in Michel Guérard's Les Prés d' Eugénie: The co-father (with Paul Bocuse) of nouvelle cuisine still creates glorious meals in tucked-away Eugénie-les-Bains.
Gasp at gorgeous Gavarnie: Victor Hugo called the 1,400-foot-high waterfall here "the greatest architect's greatest work."
Take in the view from pretty Pau: Set with a panoramic view of the Pyrénées, Pau is the historic capital of Béarn (as in Béarnaise sauce)—regal monuments recall its royal past as the birthplace of King Henri IV.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's