The Basque Country, Gascony, and Hautes-Pyrénées Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to the Basque Country, Gascony, and Hautes-Pyrénées
Catch a wave in Biarritz: Today Biarritz is Europe's surf capital, a far cry from its start as the favorite watering place of Empress Eugénie, but, face it, this is one party everyone is invited to.
Be charmed by Basque chic: Ainhoa, Sare, and St-Jean-de-Luz show off quirky and colorful, irregular, and asymmetric Basque rural village architecture.
Indulge yourself in Michel Guérard's Les Prés d' Eugénie: The co-father (with Paul Bocuse) of nouvelle cuisine still creates glorious meals in tucked-away Eugénie-les-Bains.
Gasp at gorgeous Gavarnie: Victor Hugo called the 1,400-foot-high waterfall here "the greatest architect's greatest work."
Take in the view from pretty Pau: Set with a panoramic view of the Pyrénées, Pau is the historic capital of Béarn (as in Béarnaise sauce)—regal monuments recall its royal past as the birthplace of King Henri IV.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe