- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Biarritz may no longer lay claim to the title "the resort of kings and the king of resorts"; however, today there's no shortage of deluxe hotel rooms or bow-tied gamblers ambling over to the casino. The old, down-to-earth charm of the former fishing village has been thoroughly trumped by Biarritz's glitzy Second Empire 19th-century aura, and you won't find the bathing beauties and high rollers here complaining. Though nowhere near as drop-dead stylish as it once was, the town is making a comeback as a swank surfing capital with its new casino and convention center.
Biarritz at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The Basque Country, Gascony, and Hautes-Pyrénées
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe