- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Pont du Gard
Pont du Gard Review
The ancient Roman aqueduct is shockingly noble in its symmetry, the rhythmic repetition of arches resonant with strength, testimony to an engineering concept that was relatively new in the 1st century AD, when the structure was built under Emperor Claudius. And, unsullied by tourists and by the vendors of postcards and Popsicles that dominate the site later in the day, the nature is just as resonant, with the river flowing through its rocky gorge unperturbed by the work of master engineering that straddles it.
You can approach the aqueduct from either side of the Gardon River. If you choose the south side (Rive Droite), the walk to the pont (bridge) is shorter and the views arguably better. Note there have been reports of break-ins in the parking area, so get a spot close to the booth. Although access to the spectacular walkway along the top of the aqueduct is now off-limits, the sight of the bridge is still a breathtaking experience.
Espaces Culturels. At the Espaces Culturels, a museum and themed cinema detail the history of the aqueduct; in addition, there is a hands-on children's area and an interactive exhibition about life in Roman times that covers topics such as archaeology, nature, and water. Pont du Gard, 84230. 04–66–37–50–99. Included with entry to Pont du Gard. Mar.–May and Oct., daily 9–6; June and Sept., daily 9–7; July–Aug., daily 9–8; Nov.–Feb., daily 9–5.
- Address: 400 Route du Pont du Gard, Vers-Pont-du-Gard, 84230
- Phone: 04–66–37–50–99
- Cost: €18 for up to 5 people, including parking
- Hours: Mar.–May and Oct., daily 9–6; June and Sept., daily 9–7; July and Aug., daily 9–8; Nov.–Feb., daily 9–5
- Website: www.pontdugard.fr
- Location: Pont du Gard
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
WARNING: This trip report will be dry (not as in witty, but as in the text book you repeatedly drooled over in college), possibly long-winded, and totally ignore most restaurants in Paris. Read more
My boyfriend and I are looking to spend about 4 weeks traveling through France at the end of May/month of June. Read more
· News & Features
Gorgeous villa in Provence with a cool, cultural backstory? ... Read more
If the scent of olive trees, honey, and flowers is in the air, you've made it to Aix-en-Provence.... Read more
We travel for many reasons, not the least of which is to experience a new way of life.... Read more