- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Bills in bars and restaurants must by law include service (despite what entrepreneurial servers may tell you), but it is customary to round your bill with small change unless you're dissatisfied. The amount varies—from €0.20 for a beer to €1-€2 after a meal. In expensive restaurants it's common to leave an additional 5% on the table.
Tip taxi drivers and hairdressers 10% of the bill. Give theater ushers €0.50. In some theaters and hotels cloakroom attendants may expect nothing (watch for signs that say pourboire interdit—tipping forbidden); otherwise, give them €0.75. Washroom attendants usually get €0.30, though the sum is often posted.
If you stay more than two or three days in a hotel, leave something for the chambermaid—about €1.50 per day. Expect to pay €1.50 (€0.75 in a moderately priced hotel) to the person who carries your bags or hails a taxi for you. In hotels providing room service, give €1 to the waiter (unless breakfast is routinely served in your room). If the chambermaid does pressing or laundering for you, give her €1.50-€2 on top of the bill. If the concierge has been helpful, leave a tip of €8-€16.
Museum guides should get €1.50-€3 after a guided tour. It's standard practice to tip long-distance bus drivers about €2 after an excursion.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1799 -- 7-Nt. Luxe French & Italian Riviera Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off — $1,799 Windstar Cruises