For centuries, this 170-foot bell tower guided pilgrims to a starting point of the Chemin de Saint Jacques (the Way of Saint James). Built in 1508 in the Flamboyant Gothic style, it's all that remains of the Église Saint-Jacques-de-la-Boucherie, which was destroyed in the French Revolution. Purchased by the city in 1836, the tower languished until a three-year renovation, completed in 2009, restored 660 tons of stone and statues, including the gargoyles hanging from the
upper reaches and Saint Jacques, whose figures grace the top. Blaise Pascal was among the medieval scientists who conducted experiments here (his involved gravity), which is why his statue sits at the base.
Rue de Rivoli at Rue Nicolas Flamel, Paris, 75004, France
Sep 1, 2014
[Saint Jacques Tower - a ] Saint Jacques Tower (1523) Square de la Tour Saint-Jacques, 75004 Paris Metro station : Hôtel de Ville or Châtelet The flamboyantly Gothic Saint Jacques Tower is all that remains of the Church of Saint-Jacques-de-la-Boucherie that was destroyed in 1797. This sanctuary was the starting point of the pilgrimage of Saint Jacques de Compostela through Tours. Richly decorated, at the tower’s base sits the statue of Blaise
Pascal, a statue of Saint Jacques le Majeur, many gargoyles and 18 statues of saints. Symbols of the four evangelists (lion, bull, eagle and man) sit at the four corners.