Tour Saint-Jacques Review
For centuries, this 170-foot bell tower guided pilgrims to a starting point of the Chemin de Saint Jacques (the Way of Saint James). Built in 1508 in the Flamboyant Gothic style, it's all that remains of the Église Saint-Jacques-de-la-Boucherie, which was destroyed in the French Revolution. Purchased by the city in 1836, the tower languished until a three-year renovation, completed in 2009, restored 660 tons of stone and statues, including the gargoyles hanging from the upper reaches and Saint Jacques, whose figures grace the top. Blaise Pascal was among the medieval scientists who conducted experiments here (his involved gravity), which is why his statue sits at the base.