- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Le Grand Véfour
Le Grand Véfour Review
Victor Hugo could stride in and still recognize this restaurant, which was in his day, as now, a contender for the title of most beautiful restaurant in Paris. Originally built in 1784, it has welcomed everyone from Napoléon to Colette to Jean Cocteau under its mirrored ceiling, and amid the early-19th-century glass paintings of goddesses and muses that create an air of restrained seduction. The rich and fashionable gather here to enjoy chef Guy Martin's unique blend of sophistication and rusticity, as seen in dishes such as frogs' legs with sorrel sauce, and oxtail parmentier (a kind of shepherd's pie) with truffles. There's an outstanding cheese trolley, and for dessert try the house specialty, palet aux noisettes (meringue cake with chocolate mousse, hazelnuts, and salted caramel ice cream). Prices are as extravagant as the decor, but there is a €98 lunch menu.
- Address: 17 rue de Beaujolais, 1er Louvre/Tuileries, Paris, 75001 | Map It
- Phone: 01–42–96–56–27
- Website: www.grand-vefour.com
- Metro Palais-Royal.
- Location: Louvre/Tuileries
- Reservations essential.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed weekends, Aug., and Christmas holidays. No dinner Fri.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My film “Napoleon Slept Here” takes you all around France, beginning and ending in Paris, with Notre Dame Cathedral, the Pompidou Center, Eiffel Tower, Napoleon’s Tomb, Sainte-Chapelle’s Read more
Two farm kid high school sweethearts celebrate 35 years of marriage in Europe. Read more
After half a dozen trips to the south of France, DH and I have decided to address the biggest wish on our bucket list, and buy a house in the Languedoc. Read more
· News & Features
France is a famous lure for its art, culture, and fine wine, and now visitors are falling for Cognac,... Read more
Choosing a destination for your honeymoon can prove nearly as challenging a task as finding "the one."... Read more
After four long years of renovations, Paris's Palais Galleria finally reopens its doors, treating its... Read more