- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
This classic bouillon (a term referring to the Parisian soup restaurants popular among workers in the early 20th century) is a part of the Gérard Joulie group of bistros and brasseries, which discreetly updated the menu without changing the fundamentals. People come here more for the bonhomie and the stunning 1896 interior than the cooking, which could be politely described as unambitious—then again, where else can you find a plate of foie gras for €6.80? This cavernous restaurant—the only original fin-de-siécle bouillon to remain true to its mission of serving cheap, sustaining food to the masses—enjoys a huge following, including one regular who has come for lunch nearly every day since 1946. You may find yourself sharing a table with strangers as you study the old-fashioned menu of such standards as pot-au-feu and blanquette de veau.
- Address: 7 rue du Faubourg-Montmartre, 9e Opéra/Grands Boulevards, Paris, 75009 | Map It
- Phone: 01–47–70–86–29
- Hours: Open 7 days a week
- Website: www.restaurant-chartier.com
- Metro Montmartre.
- Location: Les Grands Boulevards
- Reservations not accepted.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We spent a week at the end of May exploring the Dordogne from a base near Sarlat-la-Canéda. Read more
Bikerscott and I celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary in Paris last weekend and thought I would share our pictures and restaurants.
We usually stay in the 11th but I have always wanted to try Le Marais Read more
Hdere are a few photos to destroy your dining for today...
Foie gras, wonderdful scallops, souffle
I deserved it all.after a miserable trip..due to it being the end of a holiday weekend.. Read more
· News & Features
France is a famous lure for its art, culture, and fine wine, and now visitors are falling for Cognac, ... Read more
Choosing a destination for your honeymoon can prove nearly as challenging a task as finding "the one."... Read more
After four long years of renovations, Paris's Palais Galleria finally reopens its doors, treating its... Read more