Occupying three large mansions near the Seine, the national fine arts school—today the breeding ground for painters, sculptors, and architects—was once the site of a convent founded in 1608 by Marguerite de Valois, the first wife of Henri IV. After the Revolution the convent was turned into a museum for works of art salvaged from buildings attacked by the rampaging French mobs. In 1816 the museum was turned into a school. Today its peaceful courtyards host contemporary
installations and exhibits. The courtyard and school galleries are accessible on 90-minute guided tours, which can be arranged through Cultival (see www.cultival.fr for details).
Sep 1, 2014
Included in the Paris World Heritage site. Heir to the royal academies of the 17th century, the National School of Fine Arts was located on the site of a former small Augustinian convent in 1816. Built in the early 17th century, the convent chapel is the oldest building of the school. Be sure to see the courtyard, the chapel of the Petits Augustins and the Mulberry court located in the former convent cloister. Do not hesitate to enter the main building
and cross the beautiful courtyard and monumental glass building for temporary exhibitions and works by Veronese and others.