- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Fodor's Paris 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Hôtel de Sens
Hôtel de Sens Review
One of the few remaining structures in Paris from the Middles Ages, this little castle was most famously the home of Queen Margot, who took up residence here in 1605 after her marriage to Henry IV was annulled. Margot was known for her many lovers (she supposedly wore wigs made from locks of their hair) and reputedly ordered a servant beheaded in the courtyard after he ridiculed one of her companions. The street is said to be named after a fig tree she ordered cut down because it was inconveniencing her carriage. Perhaps for that reason there's a fig tree planted in the elegant rear garden, which is open to the public. Notice the cannonball lodged in the front facade commemorating a battle here during the three-day revolution in July 1830. Built for Archbishop of Sens in 1475, the castle was extensively renovated in the 20th century and is today home to the Bibliothèque Forney, a library that also stages temporary exhibitions drawn from its extensive collection of fine and graphic arts.
- Address: 1 rue du Figuier, Marais, Paris, 75004 | Map It
- Phone: 01–42–78–14–60
- Cost: Library free; €6 for exhibitions
- Hours: Library Tues., Fri., Sat. 1–7:30, Wed., Thurs. 10–7:30; exhibitions Tues.–Sat. 1–7
- Website: equipement.paris.fr/bibliotheque-forney-18
- Metro Pont Marie.
- Location: The Marais
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
It might be a bit cruel to show something that nobody will ever see again, but I thought it might be useful to show how alert one must be to capture brief events in Paris (or anywhere else) that can be Read more
We took a long weekend in Paris at the end of March. Read more
My wife and I are looking to travel to the following destination August 2015. Read more
· News & Features
Tired of following the pack? ... Read more
The City of Light is a must-see destination this spring, with a flurry of top-tier museum shows, dining... Read more
In the fashionable streets of Le Marias lie remnants from Paris's sometimes turbulent history.... Read more