Paris Sights

Advertisement

Hôtel de Sens

Hôtel de Sens Review

One of the few remaining structures in Paris from the Middles Ages, this little castle was most famously the home of Queen Margot, who took up residence here in 1605 after her marriage to Henry IV was annulled. Margot was known for her many lovers (she supposedly wore wigs made from locks of their hair) and reputedly ordered a servant beheaded in the courtyard after he ridiculed one of her companions. The street is said to be named after a fig tree she ordered cut down because it was inconveniencing her carriage. Perhaps for that reason there's a fig tree planted in the elegant rear garden, which is open to the public. Notice the cannonball lodged in the front facade commemorating a battle here during the three-day revolution in July 1830. Built for Archbishop of Sens in 1475, the castle was extensively renovated in the 20th century and is today home to the Bibliothèque Forney, a library that also stages temporary exhibitions drawn from its extensive collection of fine and graphic arts.

    Contact Information

  • Address: 1 rue du Figuier, Marais, Paris, 75004 | Map It
  • Phone: /01–42–78–14–60
  • Cost: Library free; €6 for exhibitions
  • Hours: Library Tues., Fri., Sat. 1–7:30, Wed., Thurs. 10–7:30; exhibitions Tues.–Sat. 1–7
  • Website:
  • Subway: Pont Marie
  • Location: The Marais
Updated: 02-19-2014

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property

Advertisement

· Map of Hôtel de Sens

Map of



News & Features
Travel Deals
Forums