- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris (Paris Museum of Modern Art)
Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris (Paris Museum of Modern Art) Review
Although the city's modern-art museum hasn't generated a buzz comparable to that of the Centre Georges Pompidou, it can be a more pleasant experience because, like many smaller museums, there are often no crowds. The Art Nouveau building reopened after a long renovation in 2006, and its vast, white-walled galleries make an ideal backdrop for temporary exhibitions of 20th-century art. The permanent collection on the lower floor takes over where the Musée d'Orsay leaves off, chronologically speaking: among the earliest works are Fauvist paintings by Maurice Vlaminck and André Derain, followed by Pablo Picasso's early experiments in Cubism. Other highlights include works by Robert and Sonia Delaunay, Chagall, Matisse, Rothko, and Modigliani.
- Address: 11 av. du Président Wilson, Trocadéro/Tour Eiffel, Paris, 75016 | Map It
- Phone: 01-53-67-40-00
- Cost: Permanent collection free, temporary exhibitions €5--€12
- Hours: Tues.--Sun. 10--6, Thurs. until 10 for temporary exhibits
- Website: www.mam.paris.fr
- Metro Alma Marceau, Iéna.
- Location: Champs-Élysées
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1799 -- 7-Nt. Luxe French & Italian Riviera Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off — $1,799 Windstar Cruises
Thanks to all who helped in the planning! Read more
Sometimes things happen that makes one wonder if fate is conspiring against a trip. Read more
what is the name of france's most popular food? Read more
· News & Features
The bistro scene in Paris is as hot as ever, with endless worthy newcomers to scope out.... Read more
Springtime in Paris is legendary—the stuff of song lyrics, poems, and movie titles.... Read more
Paris is one of the world's most visited cities for good reason—it has more great food, style, history,... Read more