- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Canal St-Martin. The scenic canal has evolved into one of the city's top hangouts—it's great for strolling, and galleries, shops, and cafés abound.
Place de la Bastille. The flashpoint of the French Revolution still draws modern-day agitators and their frequent noisy demonstrations. It's also a nightlife destination for all ages and home to the Opéra Bastille.
Cimetière du Père Lachaise. The final address of dozens of celebrities, from Chopin to Oscar Wilde to Jim Morrison, whose elaborate tombs are laid out along twisting, tree-shaded paths.
Parc de la Villette. Home to the city's well-regarded science museum and planetarium, this is a good place to take the kids or grown-up science buffs.
Viaduc des Arts/Promenade Plantée. An abandoned rail line serves as the setting for this lovely garden and 2.7-mile walkway perched atop the Viaduc des Arts, a collection of artisan shops focused on design.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe