Early on June 6, 1944, the British 6th Airborne Division landed by glider and captured Pegasus Bridge (named for the division's emblem, showing Bellerophon astride his winged horse). This proved to be the first step toward liberating France from Nazi occupation, and the structure itself became a symbol of the Allied invasion. To see it, take D514 north from Caen for 13 km (8 miles) and turn right at Bénouville. The original bridge—erected in 1935—has been replaced
by a similar, slightly wider one; but the older span can be seen at the adjacent Mémorial Pegasus visitor center. Café Gondrée by the bridge—the first building recaptured on French soil—is still standing and still serving; it also houses a small museum. A 40-minute son-et-lumière show lights up the bridge and café at nightfall between June and September.
Ave. du Major Howard, Ranville, 14860, France
/02–31–78–19–44-Mémorial Pegasus; /02-31-44-62-25-Café Gondrée