Normandy Sights

Advertisement

Guidebooks

Abbaye aux Dames (Ladies' Abbey)

Abbaye aux Dames (Ladies' Abbey) Review

The Abbaye aux Dames was founded by William the Conqueror's wife, Matilda, in 1063. Once a hospital, the abbey—rebuilt in the 18th century—was restored in the 1980s by the Regional Council, which then promptly requisitioned it for office space; however, its elegant arcaded courtyard and ground-floor reception rooms can be admired during a free guided tour. You can also visit the squat Église de la Trinité (Trinity Church), a fine example of 11th-century Romanesque architecture, though its original spires were replaced by timid balustrades in the early 18th century. Note the intricate carvings on columns and arches in the chapel; the 11th-century crypt; and, in the choir, the marble slab commemorating Queen Matilda, buried here in 1083.

    Contact Information

  • Address: Pl. de la Reine-Mathilde, Caen, 14000 | Map It
  • Phone: 02–31–06–98–98
  • Cost: Free
  • Hours: Tours daily at 2:30 and 4
  • Location: Caen
Updated: 03-25-2013

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property

Advertisement

View more trip reports

View more travel discussions

· News & Features

View more blog stories