- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Bayeux Tapestry Review
Really a 225-foot-long embroidered scroll stitched in 1067, the Bayeux Tapestry, known in French as the Tapisserie de la Reine Mathilde (Queen Matilda's Tapestry), depicts, in 58 comic strip-type scenes, the epic story of William of Normandy's conquest of England in 1066, narrating Will's trials and victory over his cousin Harold, culminating in the Battle of Hastings on October 14, 1066. The tapestry was probably commissioned from Saxon embroiderers by the count of Kent—who was also the bishop of Bayeux—to be displayed in his newly built cathedral, the Cathédrale Notre-Dame. Despite its age, the tapestry is in remarkably good condition; the extremely detailed, often homey scenes provide an unequaled record of the clothes, weapons, ships, and lifestyles of the day. It's showcased in the Musée de la Tapisserie (Tapestry Museum; free audioguides let you listen to an English commentary about the tapestry).
- Address: Centre Guillaume-le-Conquérant, 13 bis rue de Nesmond, Bayeux, 14400 | Map It
- Phone: 02-31-51-25-50
- Cost: €9
- Hours: Mid-Mar--mid-Nov., daily 9--5:45 (until 6:15 in summer); mid-Nov.--mid-Mar., daily 9:30--11:45 and 2--5:15
- Website: www.tapisserie-bayeux.fr
- Location: Bayeux
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 4-Star Mercure Le Havre Centre Bassin du Commerce Fr $100+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $76/night less
- Novotel Le Havre Bassin Vauban in May: $148 & Up Expedia
- Explore Le Havre For Less! Book Fr $92+/Nt — $92 Save with Hotels.com, $80/night less
- Book 3 Nts in Le Havre this May Fr $93+/Nt — $93 Expedia
- 4-Star Quality la Berteliere Fr $168+/Nt — $168 Hotels.com
Sometimes things happen that makes one wonder if fate is conspiring against a trip. Read more
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
This will be an ongoing report of our trip.
Trip # 9 for my husband and myself.
Thanks for all the help.
Monday may 12
Arrived after a smooth flight,our friend Lucien was there to meet us and take us to Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more