- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Fodor's France 2014
Georges Blanc Review
In the village of Vonnas, a simple 19th-century inn with 30 rooms full of antique country furniture doubles as one of the greatest gastronomic addresses in all of Gaul. Poulet de Bresse, truffles, and lobster are just some of the divine dishes featured on the legendary menu created by three-star chef Monsieur Blanc, whose culinary DNA extends back to innkeepers from the French Revolution. He made his mark in the 1980s with a series of cookbooks, notably The Natural Cuisine of Georges Blanc. Today, he serves his traditional-yet-nouvelle delights in a vast dining room, renovated—overly so, some might say—in a stately manner, replete with Louis Treize-style chairs, fireplace, and floral tapestries. Wine connoisseurs will go weak at the knees at the cellar here, overflowing with 130,000 bottles. The guest rooms range from (relatively) simple to luxurious. It's worth the trip from Bourg-en-Bresse, but be sure you bring a well-padded wallet. A block south you can repair to Blanc's cheaper, more casual restaurant, L'Ancienne Auberge, most delightfully set in a 1900s Fabrique de Limonade (soda-water plant) and now festooned with antique bicycles and daguerreotypes.
- Address: Pl. du Marché, 23 km (14 miles) from Bourg-en-Bresse Vonnas, 01540 | Map It
- Phone: 04–74–50–90–90
- Website: www.georgesblanc.com
- Location: Bourg-en-Bresse
- Reservations essential.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Closed Mon., Tues., and Jan. No lunch Wed., Thurs.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Most of the towns along the northern coastline of France were destroyed during WW2, but there is at least one notable exception -- the town of Mers-les-Bains in Picardy, which displays one of the most amazing Read more
In my wildest dream, i would never have guessed that my favorite niece and I would celebrate out big birthdays on the same year, or that we would do it in Paris in September!
She has always had a fascinated Read more
Reviewed by my friend and Fodorite, Toupary.
Hungry for Paris is the new edition.
http://bonjourparis.com/story/hungry-france-adventures-cook-food-lover-book-alex/ Read more
· News & Features
Paris to Provence...You may think you've seen it all in France, but you'd be sorely mistaken. From charming... Read more
Fodors.com caught up with renowned author Jay McInerney on the heels of his latest book launch to ge... Read more