This inexpensive brasserie at the south end of Rue de la Charité is one of the city's largest and oldest, founded in 1836 but now housed in a palatial building dating from 1925. Meals range from hearty veal stew or sauerkraut and sausage to more refined fare. Cooking is less than creative—stick with the great standards, such as saucisson brioché (sausage in brioche stuffed with truffled foie gras)—and, like the vast room setting, service is a bit impersonal.
Nevertheless, the Art-Deco style is as delicious as it comes.
May 5, 2006
Large restaurant but service was prompt and thorough. They used a team approach and every need was anticipated and resolved instantly. We speak very little French but that was no problem.