- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
The smartest of the Mont Blanc stations, idyllic Alpine Megève is not only a major ski resort but also a chic winter watering hole that draws royalty, celebrities, and fat wallets from all over the world (many will fondly recall Cary Grant bumping into Audrey Hepburn here in the opening scenes of the 1963 thriller Charade).
The après-ski amusements tend to submerge the skiing here, because the slopes are comparatively easy, and beginners and skiers of only modest ability will find Megève more to their liking than Chamonix. This may account for Megève's having one of France's largest ski schools. In summer the town is a popular spot for golfing and hiking.
From Megève the drive along N212 to Albertville goes through the sheer and rocky Gorges d'Arly, one of the prettiest little gorges in the Alps.
Megève at a Glance
Elsewhere in Lyon and the Alps
- Beaujolais Route du Vin
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe