- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Paris's Gare de Lyon dispatches four trains daily (two direct and two via Lyon Part-Dieu) to Grenoble (3 hrs, 10 mins; €76; 3 hrs, 50 mins; €94.10 via Lyon). Six TGV trains daily connect Lyon-Saint-Exupéry airport with Grenoble (1 hr, 33 mins; €20.40). Satobus (www.satobus.com) connects Lyon-Saint-Exupéry with Grenoble (1 hr, 5 mins; €21) every hour on the half hour. Altibus (www.altibus.com) connects Grenoble with 60 ski stations and towns throughout the Alps.
Grenoble's layout is maddening: your only hope lies in the big, illuminated maps posted throughout town or the free map from the tourist office. Use the mountains for orientation: the sheer Vercors plateau is behind the train station; the Chartreux, topped by the Bastille and téléphérique (cable car), are on the other side of the Isère River; and the distant peaks of the Belledonne are behind the park. TAG runs 21 bus and tram routes, many starting at Place Victor Hugo.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe