- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Alpybus. Alpybus transfers passengers from Geneva to Chamonix (1 hr, 10 mins; €26 in groups of one to three). 00-41/(0) 22 7 232 984 (H); 00-44/(0) 1509 213696 (UK). www.alpybus.com.
Crolard. Crolard connects Lyon-Saint-Exupéry airport with Annecy (2 hrs, €34) and the main winter sport stations in the Alps year-round. Tickets must be purchased online or at the airport or bus station. 04-50-51-08-51. www.voyages-crolard.com.
The direct TGV connection from Lyon-Saint-Exupéry airport (www.sncf.fr) to Annecy takes 1 hour, 47 minutes (€26.20). TGV connects Paris's Gare de Lyon to Annecy (3 hrs, 42 mins; €72.80). The required train ride from St-Gervais-Les-Bains to Chamonix is in itself an incredible trip, up the steepest railway in Europe. You'll feel your body doing strange things to adjust to the pressure change.
Chamonix Tourist Office (85 pl. du Triangle de l'Amitié, Chamonix, 74400. 04–50–53–00–24. www.chamonix.com.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe