- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
The family resort and spa town of Aix-les-Bains takes advantage of its position on the eastern side of Lac du Bourget, the largest natural freshwater lake in France, with a fashionable lakeshore esplanade.
Although the lake is icy cold, you can sail, fish, play golf and tennis, or picnic on the 25 acres of parkland at the water's edge (try to avoid it on weekends, when it gets really crowded). The main town of Aix is 3 km (2 miles) inland from the lake itself. Its sole reason for being is its thermal waters.
Many small hotels line the streets, and streams of the weary take to the baths each day; in the evening, for a change of pace, they play the slot machines at the casino or attend tea dances.
Aix-les-Bains at a Glance
Elsewhere in Lyon and the Alps
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe