- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Les Charmilles Review
For decades, L'Ecureuil was the sole dining option in Vaux-le-Vicomte, but since 2010 it has had a rival in the elegant Les Charmilles, in a lovely setting on the Parterre de Diane, facing the château's splendid south facade. You can enjoy lunch, tea, or a more formal dinner with waiter service on the pretty terrace—awnings come out in inclement weather and the terrace is covered and heated come September. On the châtea's candlelight evenings, between May and mid-October, an added incentive to stick around are the special dinners with fine wines and champagne. While your eyes feast on Vaux splendidly lit up at night, a typical dinner can start with a velouté of white asparagus, move on to a main of duck tournedos with an escalopine of fois gras, and finish with a strawberry foam with balsamic sauce. Book ahead on line or reserve upon arrival at the château as seating is limited.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We spent a week at the end of May exploring the Dordogne from a base near Sarlat-la-Canéda. Read more
Bikerscott and I celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary in Paris last weekend and thought I would share our pictures and restaurants.
We usually stay in the 11th but I have always wanted to try Le Marais Read more
Advantages and Disadvantages please and comparison in all areas for six month holiday rental??? Feb to July. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more