- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
The tranquil Oise River valley, which runs northeast from Pontoise, retains much of the charm that attracted Camille Pissarro, Paul Cézanne, Camille Corot, Charles-François Daubigny, and Berthe Morisot to Auvers-sur-Oise in the second half of the 19th century. Despite this lofty company, it's the spirit of Vincent van Gogh that haunts every nook and cranny of this pretty riverside village, for while the great painter created many masterpieces here he also decided to end his life in a wheat field just outside the town. Today, thousands make a pilgrimage here to walk in his footsteps and pay their respects at his grave.
Auvers-sur-Oise at a Glance
Elsewhere in Ile-de-France
- Château de Vaux-le-Vicomte
- Disneyland Paris
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's