- Louis XIV's Versailles Famed as glorious testimony to the Sun King's megalomania, this is the world's most over-the-top palace and nature-tamed park.
- Creamy Chantilly Stately château, stellar art collection, fabulous forest, palatial stables … all within the same square mile.
- Van Gogh in Auvers The artist spent his last, manically productive three months here—you can see where he painted, where he got drunk, where he shot himself, and where he remains.
- Chartres Cathedral A pinnacle of Gothic achievement, this 13th-century masterpiece has peerless stained glass and a hilltop silhouette visible for miles around.
- Monet's Water Lilies Come to Giverny to see his lily pond—a half-acre 3-D "Monet"—then peek around his charming home and stroll the time-warped streets to the exceptional Musée des Impressionnismes.
Need trip ideas? Check out our curated collections of destinations around the globe.More