- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Though driving is undoubtedly the best way to explore the island's scenic stretches, note that winding, mountainous roads, uneven surfaces, and microclimates with fog or precipitation can actually double or triple your expected travel time. The Michelin 1/200,000 map No. 90 is essential. Be prepared for spelling anomalies, many of which are Corsican, not French. Drive defensively: you'll find that others on the road tend to move at terrifying speeds unrelenting even at curves. Drive during the day: night driving, especially in the mountains, is not recommended since many areas are poorly lighted or void of any illumination. Signage is extremely difficult to see.
Hertz serves the entire island; its 18 offices are at all airports, harbors, and in the major towns. All airports have numerous options. Be sure to reserve at least two weeks in advance in July and August.
Avis Ollandini (Aéroport de Campo Dell Oro, Ajaccio, 20090. 04-95–23–56– 90. www.avis.fr.)
Europcar (Bastia-Poretta Airport, Borgo, 20290. 04–95–30–09–50. www.location-de-voiture-corse.fr.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's