- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
There are fine Riviera-like strands north of Calvi reached by a little train service that runs around the bay to L'Ile Rousse. Between late July and the end of August these are jam-packed, but they can be delightfully peaceful early or late in the season. In summer there are numerous cafés and restaurants for refreshment. Note that topless and sometimes nude sunbathing are acceptable here; don't be shocked to see bare breasts and bums at every beach.
Plage d'Ostriconi. This long stretch of white-sand beach at the mouth of the Ostriconi River is a popular spot to swim and sunbathe, although strong winds keep waves high. 20 km 13 mi north of L'Isle Rousse, L'Ile Rousse, 20220. www.ot-ile-rousse.fr.
Plage Saleccia. This wild, undeveloped white-sand beach surrounded by rugged maquis and dunes is frequented by nude bathers and was used as a location for the 1960s film The Longest Day. No doubt you will be mesmerized by clear turquoise waters along the mile-long shore. St-Florent, 20217. www.corsica-saintflorent.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's