The austere Cistercian order was founded at this abbey near Clos de Vougeot at St-Nicolas-lès-Cîteaux in 1098 by Robert de Molesmes, and the complex has housed monks ever since. Destroyed and rebuilt over the centuries, it is, understandably, a mix of styles and epochs: 13th-century cloisters, a 16th-century library, and a large, imposing 18th-century main building form an eclectic ensemble. From D996, follow signs pointing the way along a short country road that breaks off from the road to Château de Gilly, a four-star hotel. Call ahead for a guided tour.
Off D996, Vougeot, 21700, France