- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
The TGV Atlantique travels faster than a speeding bullet from Paris's Gare Montparnasse to Rennes (2¼ hrs, €66), leaving every two hours or so, and continuing through to Brest, while a branch line heads to St-Malo. Rennes's Gare SNCF (Place de la Gare) is about a 20-minute walk from the heart of the city. Trains leave for Paris (2¼ hrs), Nantes (2 hrs), St-Malo (55 mins), and Bordeaux (6 hrs). The Gare Routière is next to the train station, but it's not the safest place to hang out. Buses go to Nantes (2 hrs), St-Malo (2 hrs), Dinan (1 hr), and Mont-St-Michel (85 mins). Rennes's city bus system, STAR, will deliver you to almost any destination in town. STAR also operates the two-line métro (www.metro-rennes-metropole.fr), which connects the major central points, links to bus routes, and offers a quick and easy route into the city from peripheral stations with parking lots. Another option for getting around in the city is the Vélo STAR free-access bicycle rental (www.levelostar.fr); if you don't have a credit card with a chip, you can purchase a code (€1–€5) from the Velo-Star office at 8 rue Maréchal Joffre.There are also Ryanair and Flybe flights to Rennes from England (London Stansted).
Rennes Tourist Office (11 rue St-Yves, Rennes, 35000. 02–99–67–11–11. www.tourisme-rennes.com.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's