Getting Here and Around
Buses are the best form of public transport into the region, with frequent connections to lake destinations from most major towns. An express bus from Helsinki can take five to six hours. It's a six-hour ride/drive from Helsinki to Savonlinna traveling Route 5 to Route 14 in Juva, then another 60 km (37 mi) from Juva. The train trip from Helsinki to Savonlinna takes 4½ hours. Savonlinna is one of the Lakelands towns with an airport. It's 15 km (9 mi) from the city center. A taxi is your only option: the 20-minute ride costs EUR 12 per person when booked in advance. The flight time from Helsinki on Finnair is roughly one hour, and some flights stop in Varkaus.
The islands that make up Savonlinna center are linked by bridges. First, stop in at the tourist office for information; then cross the bridge east to the open-air market that flourishes alongside the main passenger quay. From here you can catch the boat to Kuopio and Lappeenranta. VIP Cruise offers scenic and lunch cruises aboard two 100-year-old steamboats June through August.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 4-Star Rauhalahti Spa Fr $136+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $14/night less
- $127 & Up: Cumulus Kuopio 3-Star Hotel in Kuopio Expedia
- Rauhalahti Spa on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $150+/Nt — $150 Expedia