Getting Here and Around
Buses are the best form of public transport into the region, with frequent connections to lake destinations from most major towns. An express bus from Helsinki can take five to six hours. It's a six-hour ride/drive from Helsinki to Savonlinna traveling Route 5 to Route 14 in Juva, then another 60 km (37 mi) from Juva. The train trip from Helsinki to Savonlinna takes 4½ hours. Savonlinna is one of the Lakelands towns with an airport. It's 15 km (9 mi) from the city center. A taxi is your only option: the 20-minute ride costs €12 per person when booked in advance. The flight time from Helsinki on Finnair is roughly one hour, and some flights stop in Varkaus.
The islands that make up Savonlinna center are linked by bridges. First, stop in at the tourist office for information; then cross the bridge east to the open-air market that flourishes alongside the main passenger quay. From here you can catch the boat to Kuopio and Lappeenranta. VIP Cruise offers scenic and lunch cruises aboard two 100-year-old steamboats June through August.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's