Not far north of Virrat is Ähtäri, where you will find the Ähtäri Animal Park, Finland's first wildlife park. In a beautiful countryside setting, it has a "holiday village," several good hotels, including the Scandic Mesikämmen, and recreation facilities. The park, home to many indigenous species, including bears, lynx, snow owls, wolves, elk, reindeer, and snow leopards, is set on 148 forested acres. Hiking, golf, swimming, skiing, and horseback riding is plentiful in this area surrounded by lakes and coniferous forests. Contact the tourist office for more information.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
At eight fifteen in the evening I am on the cold and windy sundeck of the Amorella as the lights of Stockholm slowly fades in the distance.
On a moonless night I am making a ten hour journey across the Read more
We arrived in Helsinki around 6 pm coming from Ulan Bataar Mongolia (through Moscow). Read more
I just found out that I'll be visiting Helsinki in April 2014, and I'm super excited! Read more
· News & Features
It's the land of the midnight sun, its capital was named the 2012 World Design Capital, and Santa lives ... Read more
Northern Finland’s tourism peaks in winter, and with good reason; in addition to snow sports galore...... Read more