Valamon Luostari Review
If you were fascinated by the treasures in the Orthodox Church Museum, you'll want to visit the Orthodox convent of Lintula and the Valamo Monastery in Heinävesi, between Varkaus and Joensuu. As a major center for Russian Orthodox religious and cultural life in Finland, the monastery hosts daily services. Precious 18th-century icons and sacred objects are housed in the main church and in the icon conservation center. The Orthodox library is the most extensive in Finland and is open to visitors. A café-restaurant is on the grounds, and very modest hotel and hostel accommodations are available at the monastery.
- Address: Uusi Valamo, Valamontie 42, Kuopio, 79850 | Map It
- Phone: 017/570–111; 017/570–1810 hotel reservations
- Cost: €4 for guided tour
- Hours: June.–Aug., daily 7:30am–9pm; Sept.–Apr., daily 8–8; guided tours daily June–Aug., other times by appointment
- Website: www.valamo.fi
- Location: Kuopio
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
At eight fifteen in the evening I am on the cold and windy sundeck of the Amorella as the lights of Stockholm slowly fades in the distance.
On a moonless night I am making a ten hour journey across the Read more
We arrived in Helsinki around 6 pm coming from Ulan Bataar Mongolia (through Moscow). Read more
You guys were very helpful while planning, and during, our last trip (7 weeks to Turkey and Greece last spring), so I'd like your thoughts and suggestions while planning our next trip.
We're planning Read more
· News & Features
It's the land of the midnight sun, its capital was named the 2012 World Design Capital, and Santa lives... Read more
Northern Finland’s tourism peaks in winter, and with good reason; in addition to snow sports galore...... Read more