Särkänniemen Huvikeskus Review
A 1½-km (1-mi) walk west, then north from the heart of Tampere brings you to the Särkänniemi Recreation Center, a major recreation complex for both children and adults. Its many attractions include an amusement park, a children's zoo, a planetarium, and a well-planned aquarium with a separate dolphinarium. Within Särkänniemi, the Sara Hildénin Taidemuseo (Sara Hildén Art Museum) is a striking example of Finnish architecture, with the works of modern Finnish and international artists, including Giacometti, Klee, Miró, and Picasso. Särkänniemi's profile is punctuated by the 550-foot Näsinneulan Näkötorni (Näsinneula Observatory Tower), Finland's tallest observation tower and the dominant feature of the Tampere skyline. The top of the tower holds an observatory and a revolving restaurant. The views are magnificent, commanding the lake, forest, and town—the contrast between the industrial maze of Tampere at your feet and the serenity of the lakes stretching out to meet the horizon is unforgettable.
- Address: Särkänniemi, Tampere, 33230
- Phone: 03/248–8111; 020/714–3500 museum
- Cost: €8 for observation tower and museum; €6 for admission to either one ride, the aquarium, planetarium or dolphinarium; 1-day Särkänniemi Adventure Key (pass to all sights and rides in park) €30, 2-day €40
- Hours: Summer hrs: Museum daily noon–7; children's zoo, adventure park, rides, and aquarium noon–9; planetarium every 30 mins 12:15–8:15; tower noon–11:30; check Web site or call for other hrs.
- Website: www.sarkanniemi.fi
- Location: Tampere
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I thought I'd post this for anyone thinking about traveling to Finland. Read more
At eight fifteen in the evening I am on the cold and windy sundeck of the Amorella as the lights of Stockholm slowly fades in the distance.
On a moonless night I am making a ten hour journey across the Read more
Hi, this is my first time on a forum. Read more
· News & Features
It's the land of the midnight sun, its capital was named the 2012 World Design Capital, and Santa lives ... Read more
Northern Finland’s tourism peaks in winter, and with good reason; in addition to snow sports galore...... Read more