Getting Here and Around
Kuopio's airport, 20 km (12 mi) from the town center, is a one-hour flight from Helsinki on either Finnair or Blue 1. It's a 10-15-minute drive into town; both airlines provide regular shuttle service for EUR 5, while a taxi booked in advance will cost EUR 10 and may pick up other passengers along the way; a direct, non-prebooked ride will cost EUR 20. A drive to Kuopio from Helsinki takes four hours along route E63, passing through Mikkeli; ExpressBus service from Helsinki runs up to seven times a day and takes six or seven hours depending on how many stops it makes. VR trains run from Helsinki seven times a day, with the fastest Pendolino train making the journey in five hours. Saimaan Laivamatkat Oy offers tours to the Lintulan Luostari (Lintula Convent).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $127 & Up: Cumulus Kuopio 3-Star Hotel in Kuopio Expedia
- 4-Star Rauhalahti Spa Fr $136+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $14/night less
- Rauhalahti Spa on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $150+/Nt — $150 Expedia