Bomarsund Fortress Review
About 8 km (5 mi) from the village of Kastelholm in Sund are the scattered ruins of a huge naval fortress, which was built by the Russians in the early 19th century. It was only half finished when it was destroyed by Anglo-French forces during the Crimean War. The fortress is open for touring at all times and is has explanatory signs. For more information, you'll want to pick up a pamphlet from the small visitor center if it's open.
- Phone: 018/432–134
- Hours: Visitor center: June and Aug., weekdays 10–4; July, daily 10–4; call ahead, as times can vary
- Location: Mariehamn and the Åland Islands
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
At eight fifteen in the evening I am on the cold and windy sundeck of the Amorella as the lights of Stockholm slowly fades in the distance.
On a moonless night I am making a ten hour journey across the Read more
We arrived in Helsinki around 6 pm coming from Ulan Bataar Mongolia (through Moscow). Read more
I just found out that I'll be visiting Helsinki in April 2014, and I'm super excited! Read more
· News & Features
It's the land of the midnight sun, its capital was named the 2012 World Design Capital, and Santa lives ... Read more
Northern Finland’s tourism peaks in winter, and with good reason; in addition to snow sports galore...... Read more